What I do:
- Professionally, a Deputy News Editor and troublemaker passionate about the future of digital publishing and storytelling, remote work and being a digital nomad. In my spare time, I'm a digital artist, tech enthusiast, gamer/gadget lover/reviewer, cineaste. I wander (and get lost quite often), I explore, I learn, I tinker, and I find weird shit on the internet. It's quite fun. Also love the smell of rain and books (not together), and cats (as a species generally, not their smell, but don't Google 'cat scent toxoplasma gondii'....) And I overuse parentheses, apparently.
- Tech and gaming writer
- I've been writing about techy things since 2010. I've been gaming since Famicon.
- I write
- About everything. Tech, travel, lifestyle, you name it.
- I create
- Mostly digital art, but I'm prone to pick up a real brush every once in a while.
- I explore
- Have passport, will travel. I'd love to cover your tech event.
Hi, I’m Cheryl Kahla! I’m not really a Thieves Guild Master or a Nightingale, those were Skyrim references. (Or are they?)
I do write. Blogging, guest-blog articles, paid-for articles, reviews, you name it. Even fiction and poetry. Writing poetry saved my life. I studied Journalism at some point.
Oh, blogs. I have way too many blogs, sites, and social media profiles than I care to mention. Scroll to the footer section for the most important links.
Passions and stuff
My passion is creativity. In all its forms. I paint, I write, I read, I design and create stuff, I take photos, I also manipulate photos.
My art consists mainly of dark and depressing themes. It’s my therapy. Anybody can paint a butterfly or a flower.
There is, however, something extraordinarily special about taking a painful moment and using it to create beauty.
I’m also passionate about Social, Environmental and Political Justice issues. You know, if not you, who; if not now, when?
Actually, you know what? I’m passionate about a lot of stuff. In the past, I’ve always tried to maintain different blogs for all the various stuff I like and love.
I eventually reached the fuckit-point and intend to keep everything in one place. Going against the advice from probloggers, mind you.
Things I like
Some of the stuff I like, not limited to all the stuff I like:
- Music – It moves my soul, I can’t go without it. I have a music tattoo.
- Books, words, writing, reading. I’m sure I covered all of this before, somewhere. I have 2 text tattoos. And an Eeyore tattoo.
- Tarantulas – I had more than 30 at some point. I do not have a tarantula tattoo. Yet.
- Tattoos – Well, duh. I have a few. 15 I have 15. Getting there
- Rain and Thunderstorms – It soothes me
- Joburg – I simply love the vibe. Moving here changed my life.
- Geocaching – Yeah what can I say. I use satellites to find hidden Tupperware containers.
- Gadgets and Electronics – I used to write for My Digital Life, RichWP, & Walyou, and more recently, The South African's, specifically the tech and gaming section. Speaking of...
- Gaming – Currently Ghost of Tsushima, Cyberpunk 2077, Skyrim, ESO, AC.
- Stargate, Star Wars, Sci-Fi and Superheroes. I have a Stargate tattoo. I also have an Iron Man tattoo.
- Mental wellness awaress – Diagnosed with ADHD Type. Not gonna lie, it's been a wild, wild ride since then, however, understanding how my brain works changed the way I look at life. Blog series on that coming soon. Oh, I also have a semi-colon tattoo and a 'Resist/Persist' tattoo.
Me in a nut shell
So, basically, I’m a tattooed book-loving, music-loving, small-town-girl-turned-crazed-Joburger, who simply wants to leave the world in a better state I found it in.
Who’s with me?
Who are you?
How are you?
Tell me everything!
ADHD is a bitch